Monday, July 18, 2011

Four Steps to Kill Sin | Sinclair Ferguson

From the January 2007 edition of Tabletalk:

1. Learn to admit sin for what it really is.

Call a spade a spade — call it 'sexual immorality,' not 'I’m being tempted a little'; call it 'impurity,' not 'I’m struggling with my thought life'; call it 'evil desire, which is idolatry,' not 'I think I need to order my priorities a bit better.'

2. See sin for what your sin really is in God’s presence.

'On account of these the wrath of God is coming' (Col. 3:6). The masters of the spiritual life spoke of dragging our lusts (kicking and screaming, though they be) to the cross, to a wrath-bearing Christ.

3. Recognize the inconsistency of your sin.

You put off the 'old man,' and have put on the 'new man' (Col. 3:9–10). You are no longer the 'old man.' The identity you had 'in Adam' is gone.

4. Put sin to death (Col. 3:5).

It is as 'simple' as that. Refuse it, starve it, and reject it. You cannot 'mortify' sin without the pain of the kill. There is no other way!

Read the entire article [HERE].

No comments:

Post a Comment