Friday, August 26, 2011

What's in a Name?

In doing my quiet time today I stumbled across a passage in Psalm 23 where David says,

He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

I then did some deeper digging and realized that there are several scriptures where the author says something similar to what David was expressing in Psalm 23.

What I came to realize is that God must care greatly about keeping his name holy.  In fact, we see this reiterated in the Lord's Prayer where Jesus is teaching his disciples how to pray.
Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name.
 What we can gather from these verses is that God cares greatly about his name.  That is why it is important for us to ensure we are keeping it holy.  Not using it in vein ways that dishonor God.



Psalm 25:11


11 For your ename's sake, O Lord,
pardon my guilt, for it is fgreat.

Psalm 31:3


For you are my rock and my fortress;
and for your uname's sake you lead me and guide me;

Psalm 79:9


sHelp us, O God of our salvation,
for the glory of your name;
deliver us, and tatone for our sins,
for your uname's sake!

Psalm 109:21


21 But you, O God my Lord,
deal on my behalf zfor your name's sake;
because your asteadfast love is good, deliver me!

Ezekiel 20:9

kBut I acted lfor the sake of my name, mthat it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations among whom they lived, nin whose sight I made myself known to them in bringing them out of the land of Egypt.

Ezekiel 20:14

14 But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, win whose sight I had brought them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment