Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Tool for Prayer & Scripture Reading

If you are like me then you have probably found yourself, on numerous occasions, trying to painfully make it through prayer and scripture reading. You then probably feel guilty about it being such a painful process when fellowship with God is one of the greatest blessings in the world.

Well, would it help you to know that you are not the only one with this struggle? Would it help you to know that the author of Psalms had the same issues?

The following tool can be used to help pave the way to prepare your heart and mind for your time in prayer and the scripture.


IOUS: (By John Piper)

I: Incline my heart to your testimonies (Psalm 119:36)

O: Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things in Your law (Psalm 119:18)

We don't just want to see "facts" from the scripture, we want to see God's glory.

U: Unite my heart to fear Your name (Psalm 86:11)

Why is this important? Our hearts are fragmented. We are constantly being pulled in many different directions. Life has struggles. Bills, health, stress, family troubles. We are easily distracted. So, when we don't have unity or focus what do we do? We plead with God. Unite my heart. Get it together. Help me focus on You and your glorious truth, so it can come home to me and resonate with my soul.

S: Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment